Monday, January 6, 2014

Sentiments

People used to say that I'm super sentimental. They're not wrong; for as long as I can remember, I had difficulty trusting people. When I started trusting people and opening up to them, they'd often shut me out, and once again, I'd recluse and shut everyone out, and keep to myself. People wonder why I care so much about XYZ or enjoy hanging out with ABC, when it's mostly because when I can be myself around them, I'm happiest. These people have made my life better for as much as I can remember, and despite the differences/dislikes between the two crowds, I always choose the people that make me happy. So, whenever my friends give me things, I am always surprised. Mostly because I've never been the person to "get" things, or be given to, so when I get something, anything. I keep it close to me, because it means so much to me.

I've kept a drawing from my childhood/best-friend when she gave it to me while we were much younger. I've kept so many things, things that people would say are useless, but because it was given to me, from someone I cared, rather than something I spent my own money for, I've kept it, treasured it and loved it for as much as I could. Honestly, I'm a fairly easy person to please. If you even gave me a piece of paper with just a smiley face or something simple, I still would keep it. For me, the value of the gift is not its true value, but the act of giving and the intricate meaning of the gift are its true values.

On that same note, I know some of my friends don't enjoy hanging with a certain XYZ, whom I absolutely hold dear to me as one of the sweetest people in the world. Mostly cause she listens, she's honest, and she's the one I can count on. I have no idea what I'd have done without her these past few years. These past few years for me have been nothing but hell and discomfort, and she's made it all tolerable.

So when people say I'm super sentimental, I'd like to say: I'm not just sentimental, but I'm highly appreciative of the people who've legitimately tried to be there for me. There aren't many of these people, and even less of those that I can count on all the time. I appreciate my friends for the things they've done for me and the times they've been there, and I can honestly say, I will never forget their kindness or them.

No comments:

Post a Comment