Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Bridges are complex interactions

Is it wrong to say that I could see it happening? That I could see it working? That, I think, it would be okay. Maybe it's not wrong, but it sure as hell isn't right. It would be a huge risk, with probably a huge reward, but a risk that I feel is too much. I've analysed the situations, I've predicted what could happen, what may happen and what's most likely going to happen. And in all those situations, it is the highly unlikely part that it will end up doing good for me. Going through life, I've learned to not act on what you feel because what you feel is highly irrational and illogical. It does not consider consequences; it does not think of the problems that may occur. So, when I think something may be a good idea, I know that more likely than not, that it is not a good idea.

When people build bridges, they have to make an effort to ensure these bridges remain stable and strong. Sometimes though, some people like to venture across these bridges and wonder what it's like on the other side. More often than not, they end up crossing a bridge to find no one there, and all the time and effort they spent creating that bridge, and maintaining it has been wasted. Sometimes though, you find someone on the other side, and it's great because you know your effort has not been wasted. For some people, they burn these bridges when they realise that it's been all for nothing. And the hardest part of that? The strongest bridges are the hardest to burn down.

The most important thing to me is that, this bridge is far too important to me to burn down. I'm not willing to risk crossing it, because I know I'll just be disappointed. I like what I've built so far - it's solid, strong and reliable. I will never shake the feeling of curiosity, or wonder, but that shouldn't matter because it will not help anyone. I will always wonder what lies across, maybe a field of greener pastures, maybe a desert wasteland, or maybe an abandoned urban city. I will not know, and I should not try to know.

But sometimes, I really wish I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment